Applications are submitted via the DSI Good Grants application portal.
Tab 2: Team Information
Register an account and select “Start Application” for “Postdoctoral Fellowship.”
The application is divided into tabs; each tab includes a set of instructions and fields to fill out. These instructions are also highlighted below.
Applicants will need to complete the following fields.
Tab 1: Start Here
For each team member, click “Add contributor” and a series of fields will appear. You will need the following information for the PDF and all Co-Supervisors:
- Division (if applicable)
- Unit (if applicable)
You will also need the following information for the PDF:
- Current institution, division, and unit if different from the proposed Fellowship
- Graduation date or expected graduation date
A Fellowship proposal should include one PDF and, at minimum, two Co-Supervisors, one of whom should be designated as the "Supervisor." The distinction between "Supervisor" and "Co-Supervisor" is administrative: Supervisors will help to administrate a granted fellowship. In the "Role" field:
- For the trainee, select "PDF"
- For the Co-Supervisor who will administrate the grant, select "Supervisor."
- For all other Co-Supervisors, select "Co-Supervisor."
This form will allow for multiple Co-Supervisors to be added in situations that merit additional team members. Please note the following:
Tab 3: Proposal
- Additional Co-Supervisors beyond the required two (one "Supervisor" and one "Co-Supervisor) are not required.
- All listed supervisors must be eligible to hold DSI funding (see below).
Candidate Statement (maximum 500 words): summarize your suitability for the Fellowship and your training goals.
Project Description (maximum 1200 words): comment on the following:
- Project rationale and alignment with the DSI mission
- Explanation of how the project is relevant for data science applications by either (a) developing novel statistical or computational tools or (b) making innovative use of existing methods
- Relevance to the DSI Thematic Programs in Reproducibility or Inequity, if applicable
- Research objectives
- Research approach
- Feasibility and timeline
EDI Statement (maximum 500 words): summarize your capacity and plans to advance EDI during your Fellowship. This response can focus on your integration of EDI considerations into your research question and methods; any EDI-related social outcomes from your research; and/or your work promoting EDI in research, training, and mentoring environments relevant to your thesis program.
Figures & Supporting Material (maximum 1 page): upload a 1-page .pdf with figures and supporting material.
Tab 3: Administrative Information
Tab 4: CVs
- Name and email for the proposal supervisor who will fill out the supervisor form.
- Name and email for the referee who will upload a letter of reference.
Using the provided template
, upload CVs for all team members. You must upload a minimum of three CVs.
Once the applicant has submitted their component of the application on or before January 13, the following things occur:
The Co-Supervisor indicated on the tab “Administrative Information” will receive an email requesting that they log into Good Grants to fill out the Supervisor Form. This form includes three components:
Applicant Potential (maximum 250 words): comment on the applicant’s research potential.
Research & Training (maximum 250 words): As part of the plan of study, DSI Doctoral Student Fellows are required to gain skills in quantitative and domain specific areas, depending on their primary program of enrolment.
Please describe your roles as supervisor and co-supervisor in training and supporting the applicant’s development of novel statistical or computational tools, or the innovative use of existing methods, for data science applications.
Unit Head Signature: Using the provided template
, upload Unit Head signatures for all listed Co-Supervisors on the application.
Letter of Reference
The Referee indicated on the tab “Administrative Information” will receive an email requesting that they log into Good Grants to upload a Letter of Reference. They should use the provided template
The applicant will receive a confirmation email that includes a link to a Demographic Survey. While this survey is required for each team member, when filling it out respondents have the option to select “Prefer not to answer” for all questions.
While the supervisor and referee have until January 20 to submit their components of the application, and all team members have until January 20 to submit their Demographic Survey, we recommend providing your referee with the template and notifying your Supervisors about their components of the application in advance of submitting your portion.